Raw Caramel Slice

22:50

Caramel slice used to be one of my all time favourite guilty pleasures until I realised just what I was putting into my body as I became more conscious of my health. Over the past few years i've tried my fair share of raw caramel slice recipes, however, I always found them to be quite complicated and time consuming. I decided whilst on uni break that I would create my own recipe inspired by all the recipes i've tried over the years. 

This is by far the easiest, quickest and tastiest recipe i've tried and was a hit with my whole family!

Recipe

Base
1 1/2 cups almonds
1 1/2 cups dates
2 tablespoons coconut oil
pinch of salt

Caramel Layer
1/2 cup cashew butter (make your own with 1/2 cup cashews blended in a food processor until it forms a butter, which will take about 5-10 minutes for the oils to release from the nuts)
1 cup dates (medjool dates in this layer taste super delicious)
1/2 coconut oil

Chocolate Topping
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
3 tbsp cacao powder
1/4 cup maple syrup

Start by lining a tray with baking paper and set this aside.
I used my Thermomix to make this but a food processor works as well.

Place all the base ingredients into the Thermomix and blend until it forms a doughy texture. I stopped blending once my mixture resembled the consistency of the photo below. I like it to still be 'bitty' yet it still presses well into the pan.


Take your mixture and press it evenly and smoothly in the pan then place it in the freezer to set for about 10 minutes.


Start the caramel layer while the base sets by blending together the cashew butter, dates and coconut oil. I used medjool dates in this layer as they give it the delicious caramel flavour and provide a good consistency.


Continue blending the caramel layer until it is smooth and creamy. You will find that you need to scrape the sides down a few times to get the runny and smooth consistency you need. Once you are satisfied, pour the mixture over the base once it is set and smooth it over with a spatula. Place this in the freezer for about 10 minutes.


While the middle layer sets in the freezer, make the chocolate layer. Melt the coconut oil then combine it with the maple syrup and cacao powder in a bowl. Make sure your middle layer is completely set and then pour the chocolate layer over the top and place back in the freezer for about 20 minutes to ensure it is entirely set.


Once its set, cut it up and enjoy! If you're like me, it will be gone in a few days but its far better for you than anything you can buy as you know exactly what is going into it.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe