Vegan Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing

20:18

So I was feeling quite ambitious today and decided I was going to whip  up a vegan chocolate cake using the ingredients I had on hand. I did a bit of research to roughly work out my quantities etc. and settled on this with my fingers crossed that it would work out.

I'll begin by saying that I really don't know what was running through my head when I opted for buckwheat flour as the base flour, I think I was on a roll and it was the first thing I saw. That was a seriously rookie mistake as I forgot how distinct the taste is so I would definitely recommend opting for a different flour but thats probably the only change I would make. 

This was actually a really easy recipe and still yummy even with the overkill of buckwheat!


Ingredients

A squeeze of lemon juice
1 Cup of nondairy milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 cups of flour (you could try whole wheat flour instead of the buckwheat)
1/4 cup cacao powder
Sprinkle of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegan chocolate crushed (I used my recipe for vegan chocolate here
Icing
I didn't measure this out as I just went by the texture but these were the ingredients
Cacao powder
Almond milk
Cacao butter
Maple syrup
Coconut oil

The plan with the icing was to mask the taste of the buckwheat but hey, at least I won't be able to tolerate massive slices so it won't get eaten in a day!
Start by preheating your oven to 180 degrees.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, non dairy milk, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla until it goes a bit bubbly and set this aside.

In a larger bowl, combine the flour, cacao powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate (crushed).


Now combine the wet and the dry ingredients with a spatula

 

The mix was a bit dry and bland so I added some more non dairy milk until I got the right consistency then poured this into a pan and baked for about 20 minutes.


The Icing

Whilst the cake is cooking, start on the icing. In a small pot, combine the cacao butter, coconut oil, cacao powder, maple syrup, almond milk and coconut oil over a low heat.

Continue stirring it until it gets to a runny, smooth consistency.


The cake should be ready to come out of the oven now but check it is cooked all the way through. 
Let it cool and pour the icing over it. I decided to do so whilst it was still in the pan as I then wanted to put it in the fridge to set. I also decided to sprinkle some coconut over it.


I'm not sure if this is one i'll be able to get the whole family eating, however, it was still really tasty! I would definitely just swap the use of buckwheat flour for an alternative flour and I imagine it would be super delicious then.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe